St. Mary’s College Dundalk, seeks expressions of interest from artists of all levels of experience in developing a unique visual artwork to be sited outside the new school.
The deadline for applications is Monday, 23rd May 2016 at 5pm
The total budget available for the artwork is up to €60,000 (inclusive of VAT)
Founded in 1861, St. Mary’s College is a Catholic co-educational secondary school located on an 11-acre site in the heart of Dundalk, it is under the trusteeship of the Marist Fathers and guided by Mary’s vision of service.
The preferred commission will have lasting significance and meaning to the students (12-18 years), both current and generations to come.
The brief asks the artist/s to:
• Create an original artwork that is permanent, durable, tactile and easily maintained
• Respond to the location, function & ethos of the school
• Create an artwork that is inclusive and engaging to all school users, with particular emphasis on our student cohort
• Be distinctive, interesting, highly visible and safe
• To enhance the school environment for pupils, staff, parents and visitors
The school is very open to the scope of the per cent for art scheme; however, we would like to commission a permanent visual art work which will have a lasting meaning to students, staff, parents and visitors, both present and future.
The work should be appealing, and sculptural in nature. Proposals where the artwork has a functional or interactive aspect will be considered. This call is open to artists at all levels of experience.
St. Mary’s College will become an old school in a new building. The college prides itself in nurturing an inclusive, familial and supportive community, creating an environment where students can evolve and flourish into young independent adults.
The art piece should draw inspiration from this wonderful time as it shapes the lives of the students, a time of great progress, development and hope.
The piece may aim to become a place of social interaction for the students.
Site visits for interested parties will be held on April 22nd. All visits must be prearranged and the date is subject to change. To book a site visit please email : email@example.com
Selection will be a two-stage open submission process. The selection panel will comprise of representatives from the faculty staff, a representative from the Marist Fathers, an architect and two art teachers and an independent professional artist. The selection panel on behalf of St. Mary’s College reserves the right not to proceed with any of the submissions received and to consider other appropriate courses of action.
Applicants are requested to read the full content of the Guidelines and Brief carefully as it contains important information pertaining to all stages of the commission.
St. Mary’s College – Per Cent for Art Brief and Guidelines
All queries should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application for stage I must contain:
• A brief proposal outlining ideas and concepts for the artwork
• Two to four illustrations or images of maquettes for the purpose of communicating practical and artistic content, indicating position using information provided. (3D models should not be submitted at stage 1)
• A completed application form
• An up to date CV
• 6-10 images of previous work
• Outline estimated budget and time scale for completion
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com or by post to: The Per Cent for Art Committee St. Mary’s College, Dundalk, Co. Louth. For postal applications, supporting images may be provided in electronic format on CD, DVD, or Memory Stick.